Brexit reassurance

Following ratification of the withdrawal agreement the UK departed from the European Union with effect from 31 January 2020. We are now in a transition period lasting until 31 December 2020 during which UK citizens will be able to carry on with their travel arrangements as if the UK was still an EU member state.

Common questions about travel after 31 January 2020

European Health Insurance Card and travel insurance

European Health Insurance Card and travel insurance
The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. UK registered EHICs will still be valid throughout 2020.

ABTA has always advised holidaymakers and business travellers to make sure they have appropriate travel insurance, whether they have an EHIC card or not, as there are limitations to EHIC.

When travelling in the EU and beyond, it is important you take out travel insurance and check that it covers your current circumstances, including any medical conditions. If you have an annual policy, make sure you check the Terms and Conditions and contact your insurance provider if you’re not sure.

Will flights still operate?

Yes. Everything will stay the same until the end of December 2020 and flights will continue as normal.

Will ferries and cruise ships still sail?

Ferry services and cruises will still sail as in any case the majority of the rules under which they operate are not based on EU rules, but are international.

Will my coach journey still operate?

Coaches will still be able to travel to and from the EU, and around EU countries as usual.

Will trains from the UK to the EU still operate?

Trains from the UK to the EU will continue to operate as usual.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

No. UK travellers won’t need a visa to travel to the EU for stays up to 90 days in a 180 day period.


Valid passports can still be used. The UK Government recommends that you have six months left on your passport to travel to the EU.

Further information is available at