Top Locations In The UK You NEED To Visit Over The Festive Period
23 October 2019 -
Even though Summer has come to an end and Winter is well on its way, that doesn’t mean a chance for a holiday is over. The festive period is a time for family, good food, and shopping. It is also a fantastic time to go on holiday and enjoy some last-minute fun before another year ends. A festive getaway is a wonderful opportunity to get away for a bit and experience some Christmas cheer with others - and the UK is filled with wonderful places in which to do just this.
A lot of towns and cities really come alive during the festive period. They become covered in Christmas decorations and twinkling lights, and Christmas events and markets are organised all over the UK. There are many fun and festive getaways available that can help you unwind and celebrate the festive season to its fullest.
A truly festive and magical mini-break option is to book a Christmas market getaway. Visiting a Christmas market is such a glorious way to enjoy the festive period and is sure to get you in the Christmas mood and help you find all the Christmas gifts you need. They are also a fantastic reason to visit a city you've never been to before and to have a little city break in November or December.
The UK is full of many incredible Christmas market options in some of the top locations, such as:
- Exeter Christmas Market - The Exeter Christmas Market is set against the spectacular backdrop of Exeter Cathedral. At the Exeter Christmas Market, you can enjoy the festive atmosphere amongst the various stalls which sell an interesting mix of delicious food, beautiful crafts, unique gifts, and stunning decorations. It has everything that is needed for a perfect pre-Christmas celebration!
- Bath Christmas Market - This dreamy, award-winning Christmas Market is set in the beautiful city of Bath. It has a large range of traders that offer a wide variety of handmade and local Christmas offerings in chalet-style stalls. These stalls are spread throughout this iconic city and this market is a great way to take in the seasonal atmosphere.
- Durham Christmas Market - The stunning city of Durham, with its cobbled streets and iconic cathedral, is the most magical setting for a festive Christmas Market. The Durham Christmas Market has a wonderful festive atmosphere, it is full of Christmas entertainment, and it provides the opportunity to do all your Christmas shopping.
- Edinburgh Christmas Market - Edinburgh’s Christmas Market is held in the picturesque settings of East Princes Street Gardens and George Street which is in the centre of this vibrant city. This market offers a wide variety of bespoke and traditional Christmas items and is guaranteed to get you in the seasonal spirit.
Other great top locations that are worth visiting over the festive period include:
- Bournemouth & the New Forest - A five-day Turkey & Tinsel Getaway to Bournemouth is a great way to enjoy some Christmas merriment in beautiful surroundings. Bournemouth has seven miles of golden sands and a historic pier, Poole has a wonderful, nautical atmosphere, and the New Forest is filled with timeless scenery. This area is definitely worth a visit!
- Cheshire - A Christmas getaway to Cheshire is one you will always remember. Give Cheshire a visit this festive period and enjoy the best the North West of England has to offer. You can explore one of Britain’s best-preserved historic cities, Chester, as well as enjoy festive entertainment such as a traditional pantomime at Manchester Opera House. Cheshire has it all!
- Buxton & the Peak District - The elegant spa town of Buxton has a lot to offer. It is located on the edge of the beautiful Peak District National Park. This area is known for its breathtaking landscapes and picturesque towns and it is the perfect setting for a memorable yuletide break.
- The Isle of Wight - This popular seaside destination makes for the perfect Christmas getaway. There are endless elegant resort towns and miles of unspoilt coastline to explore, and the island’s timeless charm and calm pace are sure to make for a relaxing festive break.