Christmas Holidays For History Enthusiasts
16 June 2020 -
With travel over Spring and early Summer cancelled following the outbreak of Coronavirus, why not give yourself something to look forward to like a Christmas holiday! If you are interested in history and enjoy the traditions of Christmas why not opt for a different kind of holiday this year. There are many festive holiday options available that combine the joy of the festive period with the excitement of visiting historical sites and the fun of learning something new about a piece of history.
The festive period is a great time for you to embrace your passion for history. The UK is full of historically significant places for you to visit and educational activities to do this December – when Coronavirus should have settled down. There are various styles of historical getaways available. Below is a list of three fun options and examples of each:
Christmas Holidays don’t just have to be about the here and now. The following getaways will take you back through time to enjoy a festive break with a historic twist:
- A Victorian Christmas in London: This historic festive getaway is inspired by the Victorians that helped create the Christmas we all know and love today. A Victorian Christmas In London will take you to England’s vibrant capital to soak up the rich history of the iconic St Paul’s Cathedral and the fascinating home of literary great Charles Dickens. Come with us on a journey through time and experience the rich traditions of a Dickensian Christmas.
- A Festive Break in Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire: This festive break will take you through the highlights of the two counties, including the festive sights and sounds at Waddesdon Manor’s Christmas Fair and the lavish decorations at Blenheim Palace.
Christmas Carols on Steam Trains
The perfect combination of Christmas spirit and history come together on a carolling steam train getaway through beautiful and historical UK locations. It’s a great way to have some festive fun with like-minded people while expanding your history knowledge and experiencing a piece of history at the same time.
- Christmas Carols on the City of Wells Steam Train: This fantastic getaway event is filled with Christmas cheer and takes place in the company of the incredible steam train, City of Wells. Since it launched in 1949, this magnificent locomotive has travelled through various locations across the UK, but recently it has found its home at the East Lancashire Railway.
- Christmas Carols on the 92. Squadron Steam Train: This festive event takes place alongside the historic locomotive, Squadron. Named after the famous Spitfire squadron based at Biggin Hill during the 1940 Battle of Britain. Journey through the picturesque Nene Valley as you get into the festive spirit with carol singers, mulled wine, mince pies and even a visit from Santa.
Turkey and Tinsel Getaways
With a Turkey & Tinsel break, Christmas is celebrated twice a year! Turkey & Tinsel breaks are a fun way to experience endless Christmas cheer and they provide an opportunity to meet new people and to explore a new, historical area of the UK. A Turkey & Tinsel getaway involves a mock Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and includes a lot of festive food & activities.
- Bosworth Hall: This Turkey & Tinsel getaway indulges in some fun pre-Christmas celebrations at the striking Bosworth Hall Hotel. From this beautiful base, located in the scenic Leicestershire countryside, the neighbouring towns of Stamford and Oakham, the cathedral city of Lincoln, and Shakespeare’s Stratford-upon-Avon are all explored.
- Scarborough, Whitby & Historic York: Scarborough styles itself as the country’s oldest seaside resort and has been welcoming visitors for nearly 400 years. Why not enjoy a festive-themed getaway at this beautiful and historical location situated on Yorkshire’s coast. The quaint seaside town of Whitby and the lovely market town of Beverley are also explored during this Turkey & Tinsel