Christmas Holidays For History Enthusiasts
23 October 2019 -
It’s that merry time of year again so why not treat yourself to a Christmas holiday! If you are interested in history and enjoy the traditions of Christmas, why not opt for a historical holiday this year. There are many historical festive holiday options available that combine the joy of the festive period with the excitement of visiting historical sites and the fun of learning something new about a piece of history.
The festive period is a great time for you to embrace your passion for history. The UK is full of historically significant places for you to visit and educational activities to do this December. There are various styles of historical getaways available. Below is a list of three fun options and examples of each:
Historic House Getaways
Nothing tells a story quite like a home. They are living examples of Britain’s past and present. A Historic House Getaway lets you explore beautiful historic houses, gardens, and castles across the UK with people who share your love for history. During these getaways, you will discover the unique and interesting stories of the families who have lived in these breath-taking places and get a glimpse into the lives of those who still do.
- Elegant Architecture in the South: This fascinating tour explores the architectural heritage of the south of England - from elegant country homes and manors to stunning gardens and landscaped parkland. Many different historical styles and periods will be showcased through these historical gems.
- Castles, Houses & Gardens of Glorious Kent: Kent is Britain’s oldest county and it offers various historic treasures, from glorious castles and stately homes to creative gardens and quaint towns. This captivating getaway delves into all of Kent’s historical heritage.
Christmas Carols On Steam Trains
The perfect combination of Christmas spirit and history come together on a carolling steam train getaway through beautiful and historical UK locations. It’s a great way to have some festive fun with like-minded people while expanding your history knowledge and experiencing a piece of history at the same time.
- Christmas Carols on the City of Wells Steam Train: This fantastic getaway event is filled with Christmas cheer and takes place in the incredible steam train, City of Wells. Since it launched in 1949, this magnificent locomotive has travelled through various locations across the UK, but recently it has found its home at the East Lancashire Railway.
- Christmas Carols on the 92. Squadron Steam Train: This festive event takes place in the historic locomotive, Squadron. Named after the famous Spitfire squadron based at Biggin Hill during the 1940 Battle of Britain. Journey through the picturesque Nene Valley as you get into the festive spirit with carol singers, mulled wine, mince pies and even a visit from Santa.
Turkey and Tinsel Getaways
With a Tinsel & Turkey break, Christmas is celebrated twice a year! Turkey & Tinsel breaks are a fun way to experience endless Christmas cheer and they provide an opportunity to meet new people and to explore a new, historical area of the UK. A Tinsel & Turkey getaway involves a mock Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and includes a lot of festive food & activities.
- Bosworth Hall: This Tinsel and Turkey getaway indulges in some fun pre-Christmas celebrations at the striking Bosworth Hall Hotel. From this beautiful base, located in the scenic Leicestershire countryside, the neighbouring towns of Stamford and Oakham, the cathedral city of Lincoln, and Shakespeare’s Stratford-upon-Avon are all explored.
- Scarborough, Whitby & Historic York: Scarborough styles itself as the country’s oldest seaside resort and has been welcoming visitors for nearly 400 years. Why not enjoy a festive-themed getaway at this beautiful and historical location situated on Yorkshire’s coast. The quaint seaside town of Whitby and the lovely market town of Beverley are also explored during this Tinsel and Turkey getaway.